9/12/2008

Let's Build a House #1, Deciding to do it...

Alan, his sister Julie and I built a house - hands on. We aren't carpenters, electicians, or plumbers. We just couldn't afford to buy a ski chalet in NH, so naturally, we had to build one. Fresh out of college and a little naive, we figured we'd be skiing from our new place in 6 months.

It actually took 4 years of weekends, a small loan, and a lot of friends who were willing to exchange time for...ahhh...our good company and a promise they could use the house too. Beer may have been involved.

We finished a 2200 sq ft house, it is still standing quite nicely thank you, and it was built almost entirely with our own hands and our friends. The whole story is a hoot. What a terrific learning experience and sense of accomplishment. I can and will share some great stories about what to do and what not to do.

1 comment:

BeHappy said...

Hi Bob .. what an interesting do it yourself site .. & now I know where to come when I want answers to how something works .. I'm always questioning things & now I can post a query!! Looking forward to more posts ..